The first historic marker in the United States produced under the William G. Pomeroy Foundation’s new Historic Transportation Canals Marker Grant Program was dedicated in the Town of Highland, NY on April 24. Town of Highland Co-Historian Debra Conway applied for the recognition and the Town Highway Department installed it at the DEC Fishing Access along the NYS Route 97 Upper Delaware Scenic Byway, one mile upriver of Barryville. Pictured after the unveiling, from the left, are Sullivan County Historian John Conway, Debra Conway of Barryville, D&H Transportation Heritage Council Vice-President Bill Merchant of High Falls, Sullivan County District 2 Legislator Nadia Rajsz, and Highland Town Supervisor Jeff Haas. Under a canal boat logo, the inscription on the 18 x 32” cast aluminum sign reads, “Delaware and Hudson Canal carried coal from PA 108 miles to Kingston from 1828-1898. This section of Route 97 was built over canal bed.”
The D&H Transportation Heritage Council partnership of site stewards, governmental agencies, and individuals dedicated to promoting awareness and appreciation of the Delaware & Hudson Canal, the Gravity Railroad of the Pennsylvania Coal Company, and the industries and communities they spawned, then held its quarterly meeting at the New Inn at Lackawaxen across Roebling’s Delaware Aqueduct. Visit www.dhthc.org.