VARDEN—Approved Monday at the Western Wayne School District Board of Directors business meeting, the district's proposed budget and millage rate for the 2019-2020 school year, both showing an increase over the current year.
Approved unanimously, 8-0 (Vice President Rick Hoch was excused from the meeting), the tentative budget totals $56,550,779, an increase of 3.5percent over this year's budget.
Millage for the upcoming school year was tentatively approved at 17.0804 mills, an increase of 1.5 percent over this year.
A mill is one dollar paid for every $1,000 of assessed property value.
Under the proposed millage, property assessed at $100,000 would owe $1,708.04 in taxes.
Taxes paid within two months of the notice are granted a two percent discount.
Taxes paid within two months of the end of the discount period must be paid at face value.
Taxes paid after four months past the notice issuance are subject to a 10 percent penalty.
The budget is available for review Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Office of the Secretary in the Administration Office, 1970C Easton Turnpike, Lake Ariel.
The finalized budget is expected to be approved at the June 10 meeting, held at 7 p.m. in the district office.
In addition to the tentative budget, the school board also adopted its annual real estate transfer tax of $0.50 on every $100 of the total sale value of real estate transferred during the 2019-2020 school year.
The board appointed the following elected tax collectors to collect the 2019 tax duplicates:
• Canaan Twp.--Linda Davis, 456 O'Connell Road, Waymart, PA 18472;
• Clinton Twp. No. 1—Marianne Thorpe, 1095 Belmont Turnpike, Waymart, PA 18472;
• Lake Twp.--Michele Valentino, 39 Bandits Lane, Lake Ariel, PA 18436;
• Salem Twp.--Marlene Yedinak, P.O. Box 687, Hamlin, PA 18427;
• South Canaan Twp.--Paula Herzog, 467 St. Tikhon's Road, Waymart, PA 18472;
• Sterling Twp.--Cindy Hefty, P.O. Box 99, Sterling, PA 18463
• Waymart Borough—Mary Bosshard, 39 Carbondale Road, Waymart, PA 18472.
The school board elected Jeff Gogolski to serve once more as Board Treasurer with approved salary of $3,000 and a bond of $25,000 for the year, an estimated cost of $250.
The board approved donation of the treasurer's salary in the following increments:
• $500 each to Hamlin Fire and Rescue, Lake Ariel Volunteer Fire Company and Waymart Volunteer Fire Company;
• $750 to the Western Wayne Co-Curriculars;
• $750 to the boys and girls varsity soccer teams.
The school board also appointed Attorney Matthew Meagher as Board Solicitor with an annual retainer fee of $750 and hourly rate of $150 for the 2019-2020 school year.
The board also appointed King, Spry, Herman, Freund & Faul, LLC as special counsel at a rate of $170 per hour for attorneys and $95 for paraprofessionals as needed for the upcoming school year.