WAYMART—On April 9, Waymart Borough Council celebrated the municipality's 168th anniversary of its incorporation with a picture donated by Karla and Rob Grimm.
Taken by WNEP-TV reporter, Jim Hamill, the photograph depicts the borough crowned with an arching rainbow which passes behind the clock in Wayside Park, which was dedicated to honor the borough's 150th anniversary.
While Waymart was formally chartered on April 8, 1851, its earliest settler was a Revolutionary War hero named Asa Stanton.
According to historical information complied by Jane Varcoe, Waymart Borough's Vice President and the President of the Waymart Area Historical Society, Stanton was born on March 2, 1760.
At the age of 16, he fought alongside fellow revolutionaries to defend New London Harbor in Connecticut during the War of Independence.
Stanton later fought in the Battle of White Plains, November 16, 1776.
Taking to the seas, Stanton became a privateer and was taken prisoner on two separate occasions.
Eventually, he rose to the rank of Captain of Canaan and held that rank until becoming Colonel of Militia in the War of 1812, during which he marched to Lake Erie.
Between America's claim of independence and its later defense of that victory, Stanton served as Wayne County Deputy Sheriff to Abraham Mulford from 1804-1806.
Varcoe explained in an interview, Stanton purchased over 600 acres of land from the state of Connecticut, noting “at that time, Connecticut owned this part of Pennsylvania.”
The acreage reached “...down to where Lake Ladore is,” she added. “In fact the foundation of his house is by Lake Ladore, very near the dam.”
According to the collected information, in 1790 Stanton and his wife Keziah, or Desire Kimbal, purchased 320 acres “on both sides of the North and South State road,” on which they built a large log house.
Fifteen years later, Stanton bought an additional 300 acres upon which he built the area's first saw mill.
Varcoe added, “In those days, the state asked them to build the roads, so he built nine miles of 296.”
She explained the cost of construction was able to be recouped by tolls allowed along the road.
“296 to Easton is still the shortest way to go to Easton,” said Varcoe.
In the years since Stanton first settled the area, Waymart has grown to a total of 2.8 square miles, 2.7 of which are land and 0.1 of which is water.
This area is home to 1,341 residents according to the 2010 Census.
According to the borough's website, Waymart became integral to the area's industry when the Delaware and Hudson Gravity Railroad Depot was built on South Street in 1875.
The depot served as Plane No. 7 on the Gravity Railroad, allowing coal to be stored over the winter months.
The stores were weighed and shipped down the canal to Honesdale in the spring, establishing the location as the “weigh-market,” from which the borough derived its current name, Waymart.
The depot still stands as one of the last remnants of the D&H Canal in Wayne County.
The depot building was sold to the borough in 1899 when the Gravity system was replaced with a steam locomotive.
The building served as Borough Hall until the 1940s when it was used as a garage until it was restored and eventually opened by the Waymart Area Historical Society in 2007.
The building now sees use as a library, museum and meeting room, as first desired by the Waymart Bicentennial Committee in 1976.
For this rehabilitation project, Waymart's historical society won the 2007 Historic Preservation Award.