STATE -The Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania is celebrating its 40th anniversary in 2015, and invites the public to share their related Museum items for display throughout this year.
"The Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania first opened its doors to the public on April 22, 1975," notes director Jeffrey Bliemeister.
"Then Pennsylvania Governor Milton Shapp presided over a formal dedication ceremony in September of that year, ringing the brass bell of the 1875 Tahoe locomotive in lieu of a ribbon cutting."
"We invite members of the public to share with us any photographs, stories or mementos relating to the history of the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania for display in the Museum during 2015," Bliemeister adds. "Individuals may email email@example.com or mail to 40th Anniversary, P. O. Box 125, Strasburg, PA 17579. Items will be returned after the end of the calendar year. Please contact us with any questions."
The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania resolved by an act of the state legislature in 1963 to create an institution to "preserve significant artifacts appropriate to the history of railroading in the state and to present through exhibits the highlights of that history."
Today, that institution is the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania, located in Strasburg, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, which is regarded among the world's premier museums of railroad history.
The Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania is administered by the Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission, with the active support of the Friends of the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania. For more information, visit www.rrmuseumpa.org or call (717)687-8628.