Wayne County Treasurer Brian Field has announced the official start of the 2011-2012 deer hunting year with the sale of general hunting licenses.

Independent Staff Writer

Wayne County Treasurer Brian Field has announced the official start of the 2011-2012 deer hunting year with the sale of general hunting licenses.

Sales of resident doe permit applications will commence July 11. Non-residents can file their applications starting July 25. Permits will be issued by Sept 12.

Resident and non-resident bonus round doe licenses will be available starting August 1. The second bonus round of licenses will go on sale August 15. They also don’t distinguish between residents and non-residents.

In addition to various other locations throughout the county, licenses will also be sold at the Treasurer’s office in the Wayne County Courthouse, Field said.

Resident adult licenses cost $20.70, resident landowner licenses cost $4.70, Resident military personnel, PA National Guard personnel, reserves, or POW licenses cost $2.70.

Resident juniors will pay $6.70 this year, or $9.70 for a resident junior combination license, and a Mentored Youth Hunt permit for residents and non-residents will cost $2.70.

Resident seniors can expect to pay $13.70 for a regular license, $51.70 for a lifetime license, $51.70 to upgrade a lifetime license, or $101.70 for  lifetime combination license.

Non-resident adults will also pay $101.70 for a license, while non-resident juniors will pay $41.70 for a regular license or $51.70 for a combination license.

According to the Pennsylvania Game Commission (PGC), Antlerless deer license fees are the same as they have been since 1999, except for the 70-cent transaction fee attached to the purchase of each license and permit, which is paid directly to Active Outdoors, the Nashville-based company that runs Pennsylvania Automated License System (PALS). This transaction fee means that residents will need to write checks made payable to "County Treasurer" for $6.70, and nonresidents for $26.70.

The PGC says by state law antlerless deer licenses will continue to be sold only by county treasurers, so hunters will need to prepare and mail separate applications for antlerless deer licenses. A list of the mailing addresses for the 65 county treasurers that issue antlerless deer licenses is included in the 2011-12 Digest, which is provided to each licensee.

A listing of antlerless licenses allocated by WMU (WIldlife Management Unit), as well as the remaining allocation, can be viewed on the Game Commission's website (www.pgc.state.pa.us).

PGC director Carl Roe noted that hunters may file harvest reports online for antlered and antlerless deer, as well as fall turkey, spring gobbler, bobcat, fisher and Deer Management Assistance Program (DMAP) permits through the agency's website (www.pgc.state.pa.us).

Additionally, hunters can call the agency's toll-free telephone reporting system to file a harvest report.  The Interactive Voice Response (IVR) harvest reporting system telephone number is 1-855-PAHUNT1 (1-855-724-8681).

"Online and telephone harvest reporting are examples of the Game Commission doing its part to make it easier for license buyers to report their required harvests and help the agency better manage wildlife," Roe said. "We have found that harvest reporting rates have been declining for years, and we're hoping hunters and trappers take advantage of the online and telephone reporting systems to become more active in wildlife management."

Pre-paid postage report cards still are available in the digest, but the agency is encouraging hunters to report either online or through the telephone system to improve accuracy of data entry, and to save on the cost of postage and data entry.

Elk and bear hunters still will be required to present their harvest to check stations.


As hunters prepare for the upcoming antlerless deer license application period, Roe recently announced that DMAP antlerless deer permits are available through the PALS system.
DMAP is the Game Commission's program designed to help landowners manage deer numbers on their properties. Eligible landowners include those owning: public lands; private lands where no fee is charged for hunting; and hunting clubs established prior to Jan. 1, 2000, that are owned in fee title and have provided a club charter and list of current members to the agency.

"While more than 700 DMAP units have been entered into the database so far, Game Commission staff continues to update the list as more landowner applications are reviewed, approved and added to the website," Roe said. "We expect to have all of the eligible landowners applications approved and entered by July 1.

Hunters may obtain up to two DMAP antlerless deer permits per property, Roe explained, and DMAP permits do not impact a hunter's eligibility to apply for and
receive antlerless deer licenses issued for WMUs.

DMAP permit fees are $10.70 for resident hunters; and $35.70 for nonresident hunters.  The permit can be used to harvest one antlerless deer on the specific DMAP area.  Maps for the properties are to be provided to hunters by the landowners. Landowners may not charge or accept any contribution from a hunter for a DMAP permits or coupons.

Hunters are not allowed to use DMAP permits to harvest an antlered deer. However, they may use DMAP permits to harvest an antlerless deer anytime does are
legal, including during the entire statewide two-week firearms deer season (Nov. 28-Dec. 10). All DMAP permits will be available through PALS.