HONESDALE – The Delaware & Hudson Transportation Heritage Council (DHTHC) announces the release of a locally-produced documentary highlighting the historic D&H Canal route from Honesdale to the Delaware River.

The approximately 17-minute DVD is the second chapter in a series of videos that explores the evolution and significance of the D&H Canal Co.’s hand-built transportation system to haul coal east over the Moosic Mountains from Carbondale to Honesdale, PA, then 108 miles through a series of waterway canal locks to Eddyville, NY to ship products down the Hudson River.

The canal operated from 1828 to 1898 until replaced by railroads. The region’s economy was bolstered, numerous communities owe their establishments to the canal business, and remnants of the masonry canal walls and towpaths where mules once trod can still be seen today.

A prime example, Roebling’s Delaware Aqueduct connecting Lackawaxen, PA to Minisink Ford, NY and converted by the National Park Service into a road bridge, is featured in the latest video.

“The Delaware & Hudson Canal Co.: Its History and Legacy: Chapter Two, Honesdale to the Delaware River” is available for $10 at the Wayne County Historical Society’s main museum at 810 Main St., Honesdale, PA.

The museum is currently open Wednesday through Saturday from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. and some Sundays from 12-4. Call (570) 253-3240 to verify or place a phone order. Visit www.WayneHistoryPA.org to order on-line.

Copies of the DVD may also be available through member organizations of the DHTHC, which are listed at www.dhthc.org.

Donations for the production of Chapter 2 were graciously provided by the Pocono Mountains Visitors Bureau, Wayne County Historical Society, Dorflinger Glass Museum, Dorflinger Factory Museum, Mr. Rolf Moeller, and one anonymous source.

Interview subjects in Chapter 2 include Cliff Robinson, Jr., DHTHC chairperson; Pike County Historian George J. Fluhr; authors and historians Albert G. Rutherford III, Matthew Osterberg, and Dr. Walter Barbe; Sally Talaga, Wayne County Historical Society Canal Park volunteer; and Susie Kaspar, National Park Service Upper Delaware Scenic and Recreational River ranger.

Chapter 1 of the DVD series highlighted “The Gravity Railroad” and is also available for a $10 donation at the same outlets.

Chapter 3, which is approaching the editing stage, will cover the Roebling Bridge to Port Jervis section of the D&H Canal.

The D & H Transportation Heritage Council collaborated with Bollinger & Rutter Video and Production Services to create the DVD series.

The DHTHC is a group of organizations and individuals working to preserve the remnants of the canal and gravity railroad, as well as promote their history and relevance to the present.

Affiliate memberships are available for $20 per year. Visit www.dhthc.org for more information on membership and public quarterly meeting dates, which alternate locations throughout the canal corridor. A downloadable brochure is also available.