REGION — Work continues on the Narrowsburg, New York-Darbytown, Pennsylvania bridge.
The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) announced in its weekly road work report that the first set of overnight closures are scheduled to take place from August 28 through August 31 inclusive.
These are the first of a maximum of 15 overnight closures allowed as needed between now and the expected project completion date in October 2018.
The bridge will be closed from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m. while workers install temporary barriers in the structure's center.
PennDOT's recommended detour for cars is 19.4 miles in total and routes traffic to cross the Delaware between Damascus Township and Calicoon, New York.
The recommended detour for trucks and large equipment is 52.8 miles in total length and sets the crossing between Shohola, Pike County and Barryville, New York.
Plans have been made to accommodate emergency service vehicles in the event they need to access the bridge during the closures.
The $12 million project, split evenly between New York and Pennsylvania, involves replacement of the steel grid deck, span two stringers, sidewalks and bridge railings; full-depth bituminous paving, milling and overlay of the bridge approach; drainage improvements; work on the sidewalks and curbing; guiderail work; pavement markings; and reinstalling a traffic light.
The single-lane, light-controlled traffic pattern will continue throughout the duration of the repair work, except for the aforementioned closures.
D. A. Collins Construction Company is facilitating the project's repairs.
As reported in an earlier edition, the current bridge spanning the Delaware between Darbytown, Pennsylvania and Narrowsburg, New York was completed in 1953.
The Narrowsburg Bridge Company chartered the first bridge to cross that gap in the early 1800s.
It connected Honesdale to Orange County, New York along the Mount Hope-Lumberland Turnpike being constructed at that time.
The bridge charged tolls of 6 cents for a traveler to walk across, 37.5 cents for a single-horse-drawn carriage and $1 for a team of four horses to cross.
This bridge was reportedly rebuilt twice before 1948, having been destroyed by ice and water damage.
The Oswego Bridge Company constructed an iron bridge to span the Delaware there in 1899.
Ownership of the structure changed hands in 1927 when the current owners – the New York-Pennsylvania Joint Bridge Commission – purchased it for $55,000.
Along with the purchase, the commission dropped toll usage.