HONESDALE – Many look forward to a parade and are eager to know when another one will take place.
You don't have to wait long, since the Northeastern Pennsylvania Volunteer Fireman's Federation (NEPVFF) Parade will be taking place right in your own back yard.
The Honesdale Fire Company is this year's host of the annual parade and convention.
There are 88 fire companies represented by the NEPVFF in Wayne, Lackawanna and Luzerne Counties.
The 84th annual parade will take place on Saturday, Sept. 6 at 3 p.m.
“The Federation Parade is something we participate in every year,” said Honesdale Fire Chief Steve Bates. “They needed a host company to provide the parade. Honesdale stepped up and took the initiative to have it in our town.”
Bates added it took about six months to plan. The Honesdale Fire Company has hosted the parade before.
“It should be a fairly large parade,” said Jerry Dulay, president of the NEPVFF for the last four years. “There will be a lot of fire apparatus and bands.”
He is also the president of the Wayne County Fireman's Association and a captain for Hose Company No. 1.
“I think it [the fire company] is an asset to the community and I hope it gets public awareness that we need volunteers desperately,” Dulay stated.
The last time was in 2009 in conjunction with the 100th Anniversary of Hose Company No. 1.
“It's nice having it back in our town,” Bates said. “It shows our town and helps us out.”
Friday, Sept. 5 is the meeting for the federation and on Saturday the parade takes place. After the parade there will be a picnic at Hose Company No. 1, 540 Main Street.
Dulay said it will include food, beverages, a petting zoo and bouncies for the children. A trophy presentation will take place at 6 p.m.
He added the event will help Honesdale build a training center and generate some funds.
The schedule is as follows:
Friday, Sept. 5
• 7-7:30 p.m.-Registration will be held at Texas Hose Co.#4
• 7:30–8:30 p.m.-First Session, Texas Hose Co. #4; Invocation, Alan Jennings; welcome, Steve Bates, Chief of Honesdale Fire Department; and guest speaker, Senator Mitchum.
Dulay said it's open to the public. A social hour will follow.
• 8:30-10:30 p.m.-Hospitality Night, Texas Hose Co. #4
Saturday, Sept. 6
• 8:30–10 a.m.-Voting for Officers, Texas Hose Co. #4
• 9-10:30 a.m.-Second Session, Texas Hose Co. #4
• 9-10:30 a.m.-NEPVFF Ladies Auxiliary Meeting
• 9-1 p.m.-Inspection of Emergency Vehicles, Wayne County Fair Grounds
• 10:30 a.m.-Results of Election of Officers
• 11-noon-Memorial Service, St. Mary’s Catholic Curch
• Noon-1 p.m.-NEPVFF Ladies Luncheon, Alert Hook and Ladder #2
• 2-3 p.m.-Parade Lineup, North Main St.
• 3 p.m.-84th Annual Convention Parade