VARDEN – At a special meeting on June 26, the Western Wayne School Board adopted its budget for the 2014-15 school year, which comes with a six percent tax increase.
The budget shows $40,900,792 of estimated available resources, establishing a real estate tax millage of 15.81.
Real estate mills for the 2013-14 school year was 14.915.
The budget passed by a vote of 7-2. Board members AJ Gaudenzi and Bernice Fiorella voted no.
After the budget was passed, the 2014-15 real estate tax millage had to be set.
It was set to 15.81 with a “two percent discount if the whole amount of the tax is paid within two months after the date of the tax notice; payment at face if the tax is paid within two months following the end of the discount period; penalty of 10 percent on all taxes not paid within four months after the date of the tax notice, with taxes to be paid to the tax collectors” by Dec. 31.
The motion passed, with Gaudenzi and Fiorella voting no.
The board also approved the final tax resolutions, establishing the 2014-15 Act 511 Real Estate Transfer Tax “at the rate of one-half of one percent.). Gaudenzi voted no.
The board approved the cafeteria meal prices and ALA Carte prices for the 2014-15 school year. They are the same as the 2013-14 school year.
• The board authorized Maria Liptak, food service manager, to purchase bread from Bimbo Foods Inc. for the 2014-15 school year.
She was also authorized to purchase milk from Pocono Mountain Dairy at the Pennsylvania Milk Marketing Board minimum, for the 2014-15 school year.
• A Dual Enrollment Agreement between the district and Penn State University for the 2014-15 school year was approved.
• The extracurricular transportation runs were awarded to Dianne Jenkins for the 2014-15 school year.
The rates are as follows:
$2.93 with a minimum for mileage of $85.43 and waiting time at the hourly rate of $11.35.
Rates reflect a 1.5 increase.
Superintendent Clay LaCoe said the contract is run under the state formula which saw an increase.
Gaudenzi voted no.
• The board approved the Extended School Year Transportation Contract as follows:
R. John Lillie-Van #61, South Canaan to Valley View Partial, effective June 23 to Aug. 15.
• Salary schedules were approved for District Classified Employees, effective for the 2014-15 school year. Board member Donald McDonough said they are not receiving raises.
• A motion to approve the Act 93 Agreement for the 2014-17 school years was tabled after a motion by McDonough and a second by Gary Podunajec. It was approved, with Gaudenzi voting no.
• Multiple insurance policies offered through Paul J. McGovern & Associates-Broker of Record were approved.
McDonough commended board member Donald Olsommer and business manager/board secretary Rose Emmett on their hard work and finding good rates.
He said the district saves over $70,000 every year because of it.
• Assistant Superintendent Patrick Sheehan was approved as a member of the Student Assistance Program Team for the 2014-15 school year.
• The first reading for the adoption of several board policies was approved.
This list included items like comprehensive planning, gifted education, class size, home education programs, charter schools, standards for persistently dangerous schools, student services and more.
The motion passed. McDonough abstained from the vote.
• The first reading of local board procedures and membership for the adoption of board policy was approved. McDonough voted no.
• The board approved a service agreement between the district and occupational therapist Jennifer Barillo at a rate of $55 per hour as needed per student's IEP & 504 Service Agreement.
It is effective July 1 through June 30, 2015.
• A service agreement between the district and Lynda Williams, a teacher of the visually impaired, was approved.
The rate is $65 per hour as needed per student's IEP & 504 Service Agreement, effective July 1 through June 30, 2015.
• A contract between the district and Carol R. Lienert, C.R.N.P., “to provide the required medical review of the IEP students who are eligible for the Medical Access Program, confirming that services are needed and further that they are being provided.”
The rate is $8 for each Access Medical Practitioner Authorization form, effective July 1 for the 2014-15 school year.
• Caroline Laabs and Autumn Booths were approved as Summer ESY Paraprofessionals at the rate of $7.50 per hour, contingent upon enrollment and receipt of clearances.
• Elaine Ort was approved as a temporary professional employee for music, at a salary of $44,083, pending adjustment upon updated contract with applicable fringe benefits.
It is effective at the beginning of the 2014-15 school year.
Ort was also approved as an advisor of the program as marching band director. The salary is $5,771 under the Professional Employees Contract, pending adjustments upon the updated contract.