- The state Department of Environmental Protection has issued a notice of violation to Independent Lake Camp after the discovery of a massive trash heap on the property.
The dump, which consists of about an acre, was discovered after it caught fire this week.
The camp, off Doyle Road, does not have a permit for the dump, DEP spokeswoman Colleen Connolly said Wednesday.
The description of the violation states camp owners Daniel and Anne Gould "dumped or deposited and burned solid waste on the surface of the ground without a permit from the Department and contrary to the Solid Waste Management Act and the Department's rules and regulations."
Connolly said there is no way to prove the Goulds started the fire but they are still in violation for having the trash heap on the property.
It was unclear how the fire started, said Northern Wayne Fire Chief Tom Tisano.
The Goulds could not be reached for comment Wednesday.
Connolly said in her over two years with the DEP she has never seen a dump pile of such a large scale on a private campground.
The huge garbage pile consisted of household trash, tires, plastic chairs and other plastic items, bricks, wooden doors, cans and other waste.
"You name it, it was in there," Tisano said.
The chief said fire crews were on the scene from the afternoon until late at night.
"It was a very, very large area," he said.
Tisano said he has experienced large structure fires but never a rubbish fire as big at the one Sunday.
Connolly said the DEP had received a tip in April about the site, but couldn't not get on the property because the camp was closed.
The DEP sent an inspector to the camp Monday after seeing footage of the fire on social media.
The order from the DEP says the Goulds:
• Must immediately cease the dumping, depositing and burning of solid waste on the surface of the ground at the site.
• Extinguish the burning and smoldering waste within three days of receipt of the order.
• Remove all solid waste, including ash residue, within 30 days and dispose of it at a facility permitted to accept such waste.
• Within five days of proper disposal of the solid waste, submit receipts to DEP showing the name and address of the disposal facility and the quantities of waste.
Connolly said the Goulds must work with the DEP and it has yet to be determined what fines they may be ordered to pay.
The Goulds have 30 days if they wish to appeal.
About 50 firefighters responded to the scene from Northern Wayne, Pleasant Mount, Union Dale, Browndale and Thompson.
• Two adults and three children were displaced after a fire Tuesday at a house on East Street in Honesdale, according to a news release.
A state police fire marshal will investigate but the blaze is not considered suspicious, said Honesdale Fire Chief Steve Bates.
The fire broke out at about 7:15 p.m. and was confined to the kitchen, said Bates.
There were no injuries.
The kitchen suffered fire and water damage; other parts of the house suffered smoke damage.
Firefighters promptly responded and limited the fire damage.
The Red Cross provided the family with food, lodging, clothing and infant supplies and will follow up with additional services, as needed.