During the re-organization meeting of the Western Wayne School Board Monday night, two new members were sworn in as well as two members who were re-elected to the board.
Andrew J. (AJ) Gaudenzi (R) and Donald McDonough (R/D) were selected as members of the school board for Region 1, defeating James Salak (D).
Bernice Fiorella (R/D) defeated Nicole E. Bolduc (R) to take a seat on the board from Region 2 and Donald E. Olsommer Jr. was selected as school board member for Region 3.
Olsommer and McDonough were already members of the board and were sworn in with Gaudenzi and Fiorella.
William Gershey was elected as the temporary chairman to run the meeting while the election of board president and vice president took place.
Alvin Hollister was nominated to be re-appointed as the board president and Olsommer was nominated to be vice president. Both were elected with a vote of 7 to 1, with McDonough voting no each time.
The re-organization meeting was adjourned and the regular meeting began.
All board members and administrators were present with the exception of Doris Pliss (board member), Rose Emmett (business manager/board secretary), Kristen Donohue (middle school principal), Mary Ann Olsommer (assistant principal), Michael Cole (director of student services), Tanya Carrelle (director of special education) and Cynthia LaRosa (assistant director of special education), who were all excused.
• Students who made the Principal's List for the first quarter were honored.
The award is for academic achievement and reaching the highest or second highest grade average in a marking period. Two students from each grade level were recognized.
Matthew Barrett, principal at the high school, presented the students and Hollister gave them their certificates.
The recipients of the award were freshmen Kelly De Vito and Jacob Karnick; sophomores Ryan Batzel and Jillian Weston; juniors Timothy Lescinski and Scott Sauers; and seniors Devon Williams and Caleigh Wildenstein.
Wildenstein was also named senior of the month. She thanked the board and her parents for their support.
• The board also talked about the current enrollment in the district, which is 2,140 total students. It is down one from last month.
The breakdown is as follows:
EverGreen: 579 students
Robert D. Wilson: 352 students
Middle School: 509 students
High School: 700 students
McDonough said that the enrollment was 2,500 a few years ago but that it has “been declining since.”
• The board approved the Western Wayne High School Curriculum Guide for the 2014-15 school year pending changes in the math program.
• The board approved the 2014 Pest Control Service Agreement between the school district and JC Ehrlich Co. Inc. at $57 per month, per building.
Superintendent Clay LaCoe said it's state law to have it.
Page 2 of 2 - • The board approved the following change in business name of transportation contractor Gary Jenkins to Gary & Dianne Jenkins for buses 1, 2, 7, 16, 17, 18, 22, 26, 52, 63 and activity contract effective nov 19.
LaCoe said it's “sad to see Mr. Jenkins gone.”
• Coach appointments for the 2013-14 school year were also approved. They are:
• Maria Shelp, volleyball assistant coach for boys
• Donald J. McDonough, football head coach
• Dave Piwowarczyk, football assistant coach
• Shane Grodack, football assistant coach
• Tim Hess, football assistant coach
• Steve Esgro, football assistant coach
• Nick Kazintez, football assistant coach
• Tom Howe, golf coach
• Matt Fitzsimmons, soccer head coach for boys
• James Moro, soccer coach for 7th and 8th grade boys
• Patti Walker, soccer head coach for girls
• R. Darren Thorpe volleyball head coach for girls
• The board approved the transfer of Brandie Weist from a 10 month secretary to a 12 month secretary effective Dec. 3. LaCoe stated that she will be taking over Janet Fullwood's position in the end so this will “give her time” to work with Fullwood before she retires in January.
He also said they will advertise for a 10 month secretary.
• The meeting schedule for 2014 was announced. They will be Jan. 13, Feb. 3, March 3, April 7, May 5 (tentative budget adoption for 2014-15 school year), June 9 (adoption of district budget for 2014-15 school year), July (only if needed), Aug. 4, Sept. 8 (with Labor Day Sept. 1), Oct. 6, Nov. 3 and Dec. 1 (re-organization meeting).
All of the meetings are the first Monday of the month with the exception of Jan. 13, June 9 and Sept. 8, 2014.
• The following are dates to remember:
• Middle school chorus concert, Dec. 5 at 7 p.m.
• Middle school band concert, grades 7 and 8, Dec. 11 at 7 p.m.
• Robert D. Wilson Christmas program, grades 3 and 4, Dec. 10 at 7 p.m.
• High school concert, Dec. 17 at 7 p.m.
• Robert D. Wilson Christmas program, grades 1 and 2, Dec. 18 at 7 p.m.
• Middle school band concert, grade 6, Jan. 7 at 7 p .m.
• High school curriculum night, Jan. 15 at 6 p.m.
• EverGreen PTA family fun night, Jan. 17 at 7 p.m. with a snow date of Jan. 24.
• Early dismissal, Jan. 20 at noon with parent conferences from 1-3 p.m.