The Upper Delaware Scenic Byway, Inc. (UDSB) is offering free promotional placemats that depict the New York State Route 97 corridor and now has three local history books available for sale at reduced prices.
The three books chronicle the 1779 Battle of Minisink, the famous Hawk’s Nest section of New York State Route 97 in the Town of Deerpark, and the 18th century Fort Decker stone house in the City of Port Jervis.
Proceeds partially benefit the non-profit organization’s mission to enhance and promote the Upper Delaware Scenic Byway (Route 97) and its communities.
The free placemats are intended for use by organizations that sponsor public meals. The two-color, one-sided placemats feature an attractive map of the byway route from Hancock to Port Jervis, N.Y., a description of the state-designated byway, photos of a few attractions and contact information.
Its development was originally funded in part by a grant through the Federal Highway Administration in 2009, but the Upper Delaware Scenic Byway, Inc. committee opted to recently re-print the popular item at its own expense in response to demand.
Any organization interested in receiving a supply should send a written request to UDSB, Inc. at P.O. Box 127, Narrowsburg, NY 12764; fax (845) 252-3359; or e-mail email@example.com. If approved, the placemats may then be picked up at 211 Bridge St. in Narrowsburg.
UDSB, Inc. also offers the sale of three publications through its on-line store which visitors to www.upperdelawarescenicbyway.org can access through a special button near the bottom of the home page.
“So Many Brave Men: A History of the Battle at Minisink Ford” was written by Mark Henderickson, Jon Inners, and Peter Osborne, and published by Pienpack Publishing. The 828-page, soft-cover tome tells the complete story of one of the Revolutionary War’s bloodiest battles, documented by 43 authenticated pension records of participants with five maps and 15 period illustrations.
The battle took place on a hill above Minisink Ford, NY along the Upper Delaware River. It was a disaster for the American militia units in which more than one-third of their men perished.
This first major work written on the battle in 30 years normally retails for $42.99 but is available through UDSB, Inc. for $35, including shipping and handling.
“Hawk’s Nest: Newspaper History of the Road” was published under the imprint of The 1863 Schoolhouse Press by Norma Schadt, historian for the Town of Deerpark and a UDSB alternate representative for the town.
Page 2 of 3 - It includes a compilation of newspaper articles dating back to the mid-1800s which tell the story of this 1.5-mile stretch of Route 97 from its time as a single-lane dirt track between Sparrowbush and Mongaup, to the official completion of this engineering marvel on Aug. 30, 1939, to its 2002 dedication as an important feature of the Upper Delaware Scenic Byway. Many of the photos accompanying the articles have never appeared in print.
The Hawk’s Nest has been featured in national television commercials and on the cover of magazines for the thrilling ride and sweeping vistas offered by its twisting curves situated between a rock cliff and the Upper Delaware Scenic and Recreational River. Thousands of visitors stop at the pull-offs to enjoy the view throughout the year, with each season exhibiting its own individual character and beauty.
The soft-cover, illustrated book is 150 pages long. It originally retailed for $15 but is now available for the reduced price of $10. Please add $2.50 for shipping and handling.
“Perseverance & Vigilance: The History of the Old Decker Stone House” was published under the imprint of Minisink Press by Peter Osborne, former executive director of the Minisink Valley Historical Society. Osborne previously represented the City of Port Jervis on the UDSB board.
The story traces the history of the 1793 Fort Decker building from early in the Revolutionary War, to the raids of the infamous Mohawk warrior-statesman Joseph Brant, to the era of the Delaware and Hudson Canal, when the stone structure served as a hotel for the canal’s founders and engineers.
It also includes genealogies of people who have lived in and owned the building over the last 200 years, and speculates on the identity of the mysterious spirit that regularly turns on the building’s lights.
Today, the Fort Decker building located at 127 West Main St. in Port Jervis is operated by the Minisink Valley Historical Society as a museum of history.
The soft-cover book is 224 pages long, with 84 illustrations. It retails for $19.95. Please add $4.80 for shipping and handling.
On-line orders with credit card payments may be placed through the UDSB website’s store page at www.upperdelawarescenicbyway.org.
The books are also available for pick-up at the Upper Delaware Council office located at 211 Bridge St. (across from the Tusten Town Hall) in Narrowsburg. Cash or checks payable to “Upper Delaware Scenic Byway” are accepted.
Please call (845) 252-3022 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Page 3 of 3 -