- State Rep. Frank Farina, D-Lackawanna/Wayne, reminds unemployed local veterans that they may qualify for assistance through a federal program.
The Gold Card employment initiative can provide up to six months of free job search assistance for qualified veterans through the local One-Stop Career Center.
The local center is the PA CareerLink office at 135 Franklin Ave., Scranton; phone (570) 963-4671.
Once a veteran has received a Gold Card, he or she is eligible for a number of services, including:
• Job readiness assessments
• Career guidance
• Referrals to appropriate job banks
• Referrals to appropriate employers
• Referrals to free training providers
• Case manager for up to six months
"The willingness to put their lives at risk for us means we need to be willing to step up for our veterans," Farina said. "We need to provide all the tools necessary to help these soldiers get their lives back."
Farina’s office provides direct assistance to local veterans by hosting monthly meetings with representatives for the American Legion Service Officer program on the third Wednesday of each month.
The next opportunity to meet with the Legion representative will be will from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. on Wednesday, Aug. 21, at Farina’s constituent service office, 423 Main St., Eynon.
To make sure the Legion representatives have enough time to properly assist those who need help, appointments are recommended.
Call Farina’s office at (570) 876-1111 to schedule an appointment.