Saturday, Aug.17, the Sullivan County Songwriters Circle (aka “SC Squared”) presents its first in a series of Saturday night concerts at The Catskill Distilling Company, Route 17B in Bethel 8 p.m. Synchronistically….
Sunday, Aug. 17, 1969 was the third day of the Woodstock Festival. Starting in the early morning, the lineup of performing songwriters included: Jefferson Airplane, Joe Cocker, Country Joe and The Fish, Ten Years After, The Band, Johnny Winter, Blood Sweat and Tears and Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young.
Exactly 44 years later, Saturday, Aug. 17, 2013, the Sullivan County Songwriters Circle honors the tradition of performing songwriters by presenting its first concert of this vibrant new community created in January 2013.
Located just across the road from the site of the 1969 concert in Bethel, this evening promises a rich and diverse musical concert with heartfelt, humorous, energetic and uplifting songs, performed by their composers. In alphabetical order, here's the lineup of performing songwriters:
• Janet Burgan "She is nothing less than a vocal lava flow, sweeping over a room . . ."
• Joe Del Priore, The Hudson Current
• Stacy Cohen - Deeply soulful, generous singer and master of the "container song"
• Barbara Gogan - Storyteller, with beautifully crafted words over gorgeous ethereal tunes - Barbara's our "song novelist"
• Debbie Fisher Palmarini - Bluesy momma...she'll break-your-heart then lift you up with "All We Got Is This Day"
• Elizabeth Rose - ".a wicked-smart contemporary singer/songwriter...Jon Chappell, author 'Rock Guitar for Dummies'"
• Lucas Rotman – Gritty, relevant, street-smart performer, Lucas digs deep. His spirited songs pack a wallop, backed by his baritone guitar, banjo and soulful harmonica playing.
• Brewster Smith - Brilliant, crafty, high energy performing songwriter, he will rock you, make you laugh, then melt you down.
• Carol Smith - Crafty, profound, beautifully sung original songs that live on in your heart, Carol is front lady for SC's "Little Sparrow."
When you think of Woodstock, you remember the words and the music that inspired so many.
SC Squared keeps this tradition alive with these original voices, channels of the same energy that drew those performing songwriters to Bethel, 44 years ago.