- The Angel Food Cake contest is returning to the competitive exhibit lineup at the Wayne County Fair this year. The Incredible Angel Food Cake contest, sponsored by Pennsylvania Egg Farmers and the Pennsylvania State Association of County Fairs, will be held on Aug. 2 starting at 9 a.m.
The entry forms have to be in by July 1. The date to bring the cakes is Aug. 1 between noon and 7 p.m.
Baking a cake is a very rewarding area of home cookery. There are two main types of cakes, butter and foam (egg-leavened). Angel food is the classic example of a foam cake. The cake is 100 percent fat free and, because of the eggs, is a good source of the highest quality protein, as well a source of choline, which is essential to memory and brain development.
Entrants may not have won first place in this Angel Food Cake contest at any other fair in 2013.
Prizes awarded will be 1st place: $25; 2nd place: $15; and 3rd place: $10.
The winning cake will be eligible for competition at the PA Farm Show in January 2014, where the winner will receive $500 for first prize.
When entering your cake, which must be made from scratch and using eggs produced in Pennsylvania, you must also submit the recipe.
Cakes will be judged on the following categories and percentages:
• 30% Flavor (smell, taste, flavoring)
• 25% Inside Characteristics (texture, lightness)
• 20% Overall appearance (surface, size, color)
• 15% Creativity
• 10% Topping, Icing or Decoration
If you have any questions, contact Judy Muller at 448-2912.