Calling all bakers for the 2013 Blue Ribbon Apple Pie baking contest to be held at the Wayne County Fair.
— Calling all bakers for the 2013 Blue Ribbon Apple Pie baking contest to be held at the Wayne County Fair.
The contest is co-sponsored by The Pennsylvania Apple Marketing Program, The Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture and The Pennsylvania State Association of County Fairs.
The entry forms have to be in by July 1. The date to bring the cakes is Aug. 1 between noon and 7 p.m.
Over 100 fairs across Pennsylvania will offer cash prizes for the best pie. The Wayne County Fair's contest is preliminary competition that leads to the selection of the final Blue Ribbon Apple Pie winner held each January at the Pennsylvania State Farm Show.
The First place winner at the Farm Show will be awarded a cash prize of $500 for their winning entry. Other cash prizes will also be available for the top five entries.
The rules for contest are as follows:
1. Open to any individual who is a Pennsylvania resident; only one entry per person.
2. Entrants may NOT have won 1st place in this Blue Ribbon Apple Pie contest at any other fair in 2013.
3. Entry to be a pie that must include at least 60% apples in the filling. It does not need to be a “traditional” two crusted apple pie and it can have a variety of fillings.
4. The entire pie must be submitted for judging in a disposable pie pan.
5. The recipe for the pie and pie crust must be submitted with the entry. It should be submitted on an 8 1/2” by 11” sheet of paper. The recipe must list all the ingredients, quantities and the preparation instructions. Entrant’s name, address and phone number must be printed on the back side of all the pages.
6. Refrigeration is not available at the Fair or PA Farm Show. Entries that require refrigeration after baking must indicate so in the recipe. Those entries will not be sold, auctioned or otherwise distributed for consumption after judging for food safety reasons.
7. Judging will be based on the following criteria:
• Flavor 30 points
• Filling: consistency, doneness, moistness & flavor 25 points
• Crust: color, flavor, texture doneness 20 points
• Overall Appearance 15 points
• Creativity 10 points
• TOTAL 100 Points
So dig out that favorite Apple Pie recipe and give it a try. You could end up being the Blue Ribbon Apple Pie winner at the Pennsylvania State Farm Show.
For more information on entry requirements, obtain a Wayne County Fair Premium Book or contact Judy Muller at 448-2912.