A respiratory therapist was "at the right place at the right time" last Wednesday when a fire broke out in a West Virginia home.
- A respiratory therapist was "at the right place at the right time" last Wednesday when a fire broke out in a West Virginia home.
Todd Farrell, who lives in Beach Lake, was visiting family in West Virginia when he and his daughter "noticed smoke coming from a home" while walking by. The home in flames was located on Brierwood Lane and began around 1 p.m.
In a report from WDTV West Virginia, Farrell said "his immediate reaction" was to try and make sure no one was trapped inside. He entered the home and found a woman "lying about seven feet" inside of the home. Farrell then picked up the woman and carried her out of the smoke-filled home and into the backyard.
"We started CPR. She responded," he said. Upon the arrival of emergency personnel, the woman was life-flighted to an area hospital for treatment.
According to officers, the woman suffered some inhalation and second degree burns to her chest and shoulder. The home of the woman is considered to be a total loss.
Farrell is in his third year working for Wayne Memorial Hospital as a Certified Respiratory Therapist. His fellow technicians honored him for his act of valor Monday with a banner and a loud round of applause.
"It was a very big surprise, " he said. "It's very well appreciated. The praise is wonderful."
Farrell said he hopes "he did what any one else would have done in that situation."
Wayne Memorial Hospital CEO David Hoff shook his hand and said, "We are in the business of saving lives, even when on vacation!"