HARRISBURG – Volunteer fire and emergency response organizations in Wayne County have been awarded more than $267,000 in grants from the state, Reps. Sandra Major (R-Susquehanna/Wayne/Wyoming) and Mike Peifer (R-Monroe/Pike/Wayne).
"Volunteer emergency responders are among the most dedicated public servants in our communities, volunteering their time and putting their lives on the line for our neighbors," Major said. "I'm pleased we are able to offer these grants in support of their work."
Peifer added, "In addition to responding to emergency calls, our volunteers invest a great deal of time in training and fundraising. The grant program helps to relieve some of that burden, so I am very happy we were able to increase funding for the grants this year."
Last fall, lawmakers voted to both extend and expand the decade-old program by increasing the total grant funding from $25 million to $30 million. The funding comes from an ongoing grant program created by the Legislature and administered by the Pennsylvania Emergency Management Agency and Office of the State Fire Commissioner. All funding comes from the proceeds from slot machine gaming, and not general fund tax revenue.
Projects eligible for grant funding include: construction or renovation of a fire or ambulance company facility, purchase or repair of equipment, training, or reduction of existing debt.
Following is a list of local fire and ambulance companies and the amount of their grant awards:
• Alert Hook and Ladder No. 2, Honesdale – $12,631.34.
• Browndale Fire Company No. 1, Browndale – $12,307.80.
• Equinunk Volunteer Fire Company, Equinunk – $11,500.
• Gouldsboro Ambulance Squad Inc., Gouldsboro – $6,651.49.
• Gouldsboro Volunteer Fire Company, Gouldsboro – $13,116.29.
• Greene Dreher Volunteer Fire Association, Newfoundland – $12,631.34.
• Hamlin Fire and Rescue Company, Hamlin – $13,116.29 for fire company operations and $6,651.49 for EMS operations.
• Hawley Fire Department Inc., Hawley -- $11,984.95.
• Hose Company No. 1, Honesdale – $12,792.76.
• Lake Ariel Volunteer Fire Company, Lake Ariel – $9,215.
• Lakeville Volunteer Fire Company, Lakeville – $11,500.
• Maplewood Fire and Rescue Company, Lakewood – $12,146.38.
• Northern Wayne Fire Company, Lakewood – $11,500.
• Pleasant Mount Emergency Services Inc., Pleasant Mount – $11,500 for fire company operations and $6,651.49 for EMS operations.
• Prompton Fire and Rescue Unit, Prompton – $11,847.78.
• Protection Engine Company No. 3, Honesdale – $11,984.95.
• Seelyville Fire Company, Honesdale – $11,500.
• Texas No. 4 Fire Company, Honesdale – $12,954.87.
• Volunteer Fire Company of Beach Lake, Beach Lake – $11,983.57.
• Waymart Volunteer Ambulance Company, Waymart – $6,651.49.
• Waymart Volunteer Fire Company, Waymart – $12,954.87.
Page 2 of 2 - • Welcome Lake Fire and Dive and Rescue, Beach Lake – $11,500.