Eligible Pennsylvania residents are encouraged to apply for the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP), Rep. Sandra Major (R-Susquehanna/Wayne/Wyoming) said today.
- Eligible Pennsylvania residents are encouraged to apply for the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP), Rep. Sandra Major (R-Susquehanna/Wayne/Wyoming) said today.
LIHEAP helps low-income people pay their heating bills through home energy assistance grants and crisis grants. Cash grants are awarded based on household income, family size, type of heating fuel and region. Crisis grants are provided in the event of a heating emergency, including broken heating equipment or leaking lines that must be fixed or replaced, lack of fuel, termination of utility service or danger of being without fuel or of having utility service terminated. In most counties, assistance with home heating crisis situations is available 24 hours a day.
The income limits for the 2012-13 LIHEAP program are as follows:
• One-person household – $16,755
• Two-person household – $22,695
• Three-person household – $28,635
• Four-person household – $34,575
• Five-person household – $40,515
• Six-person household – $46,455
• Seven-person household – $52,395
• Eight-person household – $58,335
• Nine-person household – $64,275
• 10-person household – $70,215
The Department of Public Welfare sent all LIHEAP clients who applied online last year a postcard notice encouraging them to reapply online. In the past, the department sent only paper applications to all perspective clients, even if those individuals applied online the previous year. Prior applicants who did not apply online last year should have received paper applications in the mail.
All online applications are sent straight to the county office to determine eligibility, thereby eliminating mail and hand-processing time.
New applicants can apply for the program at any time.
Visit Major's district offices at 16501 S.R. 706, Suite 2, in Montrose, telephone (570) 278-3374, or 130 Bridge St., Suite 3, in Tunkhannock, telephone (570) 836-5888 for assistance in filling out applications. To apply online or receive more information, visit www.RepMajor.com.