On Sunday, Sept. 23, the Wayne County Arts Alliance's Sunday Night Cinema kicks off its fall movie series with "White Squall" (1996), a high-seas drama starring Jeff Bridges and directed by Ridley Scott ("Blade Runner," "Thelma and Louise"). Bridges plays Capt. Christopher Sheldon, skipper of the Albatross, a floating school for troubled boys. When a freak storm hits, a routine voyage becomes a life-and-death test of survival for the students. "White Squall" combines coming-of-age stories with riveting visuals.
The SNC fall series, entitled "Sailing the Silver Screen," features movies with a connection to the sea. The emphasis is on foreign films and American movies that, like "White Squall," haven't gotten the acclaim they deserve. Other offerings in the series range from "Erik the Viking," a 1989 British comedy-fantasy inspired by a children's book, to "Woman on the Beach," a 1947 drama helmed in Hollywood by the great French director Jean Renoir.
Showings are at 8:15 p.m. at Cinema 6, Route 6 Mall, Honesdale. A donation of $5 per person is suggested to help support the activities of the Arts Alliance.
The film will be preceded by a short introduction and followed by a discussion. For more information, please visit waynecountyartsalliance.org or contact the Arts Alliance at (570) 390-4420.
Here is the entire fall Sunday Night Cinema schedule:
• Sept. 23: White Squall (PG) 1996—U.S. – dir. Ridley Scott –129 min.
• Sept. 30: The Sea Wolf 1941—U.S.—dir. Michael Curtiz—90 min.
• Oct. 7: Erik the Viking—(PG-13)—1989—U.S.—dir. Terry Jones—107 min
• Oct. 14: Master and Commander (PG-13) 2003—U.K.—dir. Peter Weir—138 min.
• Oct. 21: Riddle of the Sands (PG) 1979—U.S.—dir. Tony Maylam—102 min.
• Oct. 28: Woman on the Beach :1947—U.S.—dir. Jean Renoir—71 min.
• Nov. 4: Operation Petticoat : 1959—U.S.—dir. Blake Edwards—124 min.
• Nov. 11: Wind (PG-13): 1992—U.S.—dir. Carroll Ballard—126 min.
• Nov. 18: Knife in the Water 1962—Poland—dir. Roman Polanski—94 min.