Honesdale Fire Museum, Inc. was established in 2004 by members of the Honesdale Fire Department as a separate corporation for the purpose of preserving the heritage and history of the fire service for Honesdale and the surrounding area for generations to come.


Honesdale Fire Museum, Inc. was established in 2004 by members of the Honesdale Fire Department as a separate corporation for the purpose of preserving the heritage and history of the fire service for Honesdale and the surrounding area for generations to come.
The museum which is currently housed in the Protection Engine Company No. 3 station building on the northeast corner of Park and Main Streets in Honesdale bases its collection of memorabilia around it’s 1874 Silsby Steam Fire Engine which came to Honesdale as a new engine in early 1875.  The engine, which today is one of the oldest operable steam fire engines in the country served the department actively from 1875 until 1936.  In 1936 it was replaced by a 1936 Seagrave triple combination pumper powered by 12 cylinder gasoline engine.  That engine too became part of the collection in 2006 returning to Honesdale after more than forty eight years serving Beaver Meadows, PA. 
Members of the Board of Directors elected to serve for the next year are Bailie Rutherford, President, Protection Engine Company No. 3; Richard Kreitner, Vice President; James Bader, Secretary, Texas No 4 Fire Company; Kent L. Brown, Treasurer; Richard Dulay, Hose Company No 1; Don Matthews, Alert Hook and Ladder No. 2; Stan Pratt, Chief Honesdale Fire Department; Russell Ridd, Tim Stiteler, Protection Engine Company No 3.
Rusty Palmer was elected an Honorary Life Member of the museum for his assistance in returning the Seagrave to Honesdale.
Other items discussed in were the need to recruit members for the museum as well as volunteers to staff it during key periods of the spring, summer and fall and additional volunteers to help with maintenance and required repairs to the collection, including replacement of a head gasket on the Seagrave.  Interested individuals can contact Stan Pratt at (570)253-3627, leaving a message if they reach an answering machine.  The group also needs to find temporary housing for the Seagrave where they can make the required repairs.
The next meeting of the Directors will be held at 7 p.m. Thursday, March 27, 2008 at the museum.  There will be an open house for anyone interested in learning more about the museum with a desire to join or volunteer at 6:30 the same evening.