A writeup of police reports compiled in Wayne and Pike Counties.
• Two local Xtra Marts were robbed during the early hours of Christmas morning. The first incident occurred at around 2a.m., when someone walked into the Hilltop Xtra Mart, on Interstate 81 in Milford, with a shotgun and demanded money from the overnight clerk. He racked the shotgun and threatened to shoot the store clerk. He made off with an undetermined amount of cash.
The suspect was described as a white male, approximately 5’10” and 170 pounds. He was wearing a gray hooded jacket, blue jeans, white sneakers, and a white T-shirt which was sticking out from the bottom of his jacket. He concealed his face with that appeared to be a white shirt. According to the store clerk, the suspect had very short hair, which he described as a buzz cut.
As the suspect exited the Xtra Mart, he got into a dark colored (possibly green) Jeep Wrangler and drove away traveling east on State Route 6. He arrived at the Route 739 Xtra Mart in Hawley at approximately 3:40a.m. He parked his Jeep Wrangler at gas pump #5 and entered the store, where he pre-paid for gasoline.
After pumping his gas, he entered the driver’s side of the vehicle and concealed his face once again with what appeared to be a white tee shirt. This time, he pulled the hood part of his jacket over his head and re-entered the store.
The suspect approached the counter and informed the clerk that he had a gun in his right pocket and demanded all the money. He was able to flee the scene with an undetermined amount of money. He was wearing the same clothes as he wore during the first robbery. Anyone with information regarding this crime is asked to contact Pennsylvania State Police in Blooming Grove at 570-226-5718.
• A fatal home fire that claimed the life of a Damascus Township woman has been ruled accidental. The December 20th fire at 831 Milanville Road that killed Lucille Dexter started in the back enclosed porch and most likely occurred due to an electrical malfunction. Ms. Dexter died as a result of smoke inhalation.
• State Police in Blooming Grove responded to a DUI crash during the evening hours of Christmas Eve. According to police reports, Walter G. Haas, Sr. of Shohola was traveling south on State Route 434 in a 1992 Ford F350 Dump Truck when, for an unknown reason, he traveled off of the west side of the roadway.
He continued to travel south for approximately 127 feet along the snow covered berm prior to reentering the road. His vehicle then rolled onto its passenger side. Mr. Haas was extracted from the vehicle by the Shohola Township Fire & Rescue Department and transported to BonSecours Community Hospital via ambulance.
Mr. Haas was believed to have been driving under the influence of alcohol. Charges against him are pending toxicology results.
• A hit and run crash on December 20th is currently under investigation by State Police in Blooming Grove. According to police reports, John Brophy of Cornwall, New York was traveling west on State Route 84 when a large piece of ice came off of a white mini-van with an unknown Pennsylvania registration number.
The ice smashed the windshield of Mr. Brophy’s 1999 Dodge Caravan and pushed the windshield into the drive and passenger compartment. The white mini-van then continued traveling west. Anyone with any information is asked to contact the Blooming Grove station at 570-226- 5718.
•Three men allegedly stole $350 worth of cigarettes from a Rite Aid Pharmacy on State Route 739 in Blooming Grove Township. According to police reports, two of the suspects entered the store and proceeded to go behind the counter near the front door where cigarettes are displayed for sale.
The men took approximately seven cartons of Marlboro medium cigarettes and fled the store after being confronted by store employees. They then entered a dark blue Dodge mini-van that was parked in the parking lot which was driven by a third suspect. The vehicle displayed a Pennsylvania registration number of FWF3545, but the plate belongs to a different vehicle from out of the area. The vehicle fled north on State Route 739.
Suspect one, who entered the store, is described as a white male, approximately 5’8” tall, with long gray scraggly hair, bald on the top, with a full gray beard, and was wearing a flannel shirt. Suspect two, who also entered the store, is described as a white male, approximately 5’7” tall, with short light brown hair, and was wearing a purple hoody. The third suspect, who was driving the vehicle, is described as a white male, with dark hair and a cleanly shaven face. Anyone with information is asked to contact Pennsylvania State Police in Blooming Grove at 570-226-5718.
• A young Milford woman allegedly had her wallet and cell phone stolen from her purse while she was attending a Christmas party on December 22nd.
According to police reports, Lauren Christine Beuccine was attending a Christmas Party at a home on Gap View Road at Gold Key Lake Estates in Dingman Township, when her blue and silver LG cell phone and her Nine West wallet were taken from her purse. Anyone with information regarding this incident is asked to call Pennsylvania State Police in Blooming Grove at 570-226-5718.